Monday, February 4, 2013

Austria Day 6 Apple Strudel


Easy Apple Strudel

Apple strudel can be intimidating so I made it the simple way using Phylo dough.
I have made it the old fashioned way making this super thin dough brushing lots of butter but I thought more of you would be apt to give this version a try, it doesn't take much time at all.

8 phylo sheets
8 apples or 2 qts ( I used my frozen sliced apples)
1/3 cup sugar
2 T cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup plain fine bread crumbs
pinch salt
1/2 c ground walnuts
1/2# butter melted for brushing phylo

Mix in bowl apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, zest, juice, crumbs, salt, walnuts

If you use frozen, toss the apples in a little flour first so its not too juicy.

Spread a sheet of parchment on your counter and lie the phylo, you are going to make a giant rectangle over lapping the edges and brushing w butter. Do two layers.
add filling and use the parchment to help you roll up your strudel. It looks sort of like a sausage.
When its all sealed, brush w butter again and wrap the parchment around the strudel and place it on cookie sheet in oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Then let it rest 10 minutes, unrwrap it.
 
Cut into slices and serve with whip cream warm or cold. Perfect with a great cup of coffee. Melange is my personal favorite. You won't find that on the menu at starbucks. You can get one in Chicago at one of my favorite places Julius Meinl. If you ever get in the Lincoln park area go, you will thank me later.
 
Recipe from Heidelburg Hotel NYC


No comments:

Post a Comment