Sunday, February 3, 2013

Austria day 4 Potato Goulash

I am a few days behind in my postings. We had illness followed by a house showing which always throws me into a frantic cleaning maniac. Like they say, you only get one chance at a good impression.

This is a dish near to my husbands heart his mother, whom we call Mutti made for him growing up. She showed me how to make this years ago and I never wrote it down, I made it how she cooked, from memory. Michael says I succeeded, in his words "Schmeck" that means that was good! That is how she made everything. She learned from her mother. Before I made this I looked online for this recipe and you will not find it online. I hope you enjoy this, it's certainly perfect on a day like this.

Potato Goulash (Kartoffel Goulash)

Potatoes peeled and cubed 4-5 lg
Onions 3-4 chopped
Water to cover
2 T marjoram
2 T sweet Hungarian paprika
1 T cumin (optional)
Pepper to taste
Kielbasa 1 pkg sliced

In heavy pot add Evo and cook onions down. Add potatoes, water, spices and cover and cook on low until potatoes are tender stirring occasionally. Add kielbasa and cook until fully heated and slightly thickened. This will be stew consistency.







1 comment:

  1. I know this is an oldish post, but I was looking for a recipe. Like your husband, this was food that connects me strongly to childhood food. I have one query. I have no idea what Evo is. I am *not* North American so it may be a brand of some foodstuff that I'm not familiar with (BTW, I come from Australia)

    Rob

    ReplyDelete